Wednesday, January 21, 2015

My own personal Yogi-ism



So here's a quick story about the 2 times I met the amazing Yogi Berra.

Back in 2009 I went up to Cooperstown so see Rickey Henderson get inducted into the Hall. The Moment I stepped on Main street I was in Baseball Heaven and literally the first thing I saw was a small tent set up for signings and photos. The tent housed Mr. Berra, Goose Gossage and Harmon Killebrew. 

After waking up from fainting I made my way over to Mr. Berra who was kind enough to take the greatest photo of all time (Sorry National Geographic)














OK, So fast forward 2 years to October 2011 (The timeline is important) I find out Yogi's going to be at the Steiner store at the local mall here on LI signing. I decide to go back to get the above pic signed. 

Here's what transpired when I met Mr. Berra the second time:

Me: Hello Mr. Berra I was hoping you can sign this photo of us
YB: Sure, This was taken in Cooperstown right?
Me: Yes sir, I came up for induction weekend
YB:  Yeah I remember, it was 2 years ago
Me: Wow, yeah....How did you know that?
YB: Because I didn't go last year!

That's right folks.....I got my own personal Yogi-ism. I will remember both of our meetings for the rest of my life!









4 comments:

  1. That is a great story.

    I met Yogi once and while I was shaking his hand, he was walking away and didn't let go of my hand...so i sort of walked with him, holding hands for a while. It was fairly romantic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is a story to pass down to your kids and their kids. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete